Saturday, September 20, 2008

Choo Choo Train Bed

Some of you may know, I have not slept with my husband for two and a half years. Hayden has been in my bed while Jason has been living in the guest room. Most people comment, "you need to get him out of your room!", or they look sympathetically, "oh, your son can't sleep on his own?", and most often I hear, "WHY???"

Here are my reasons:
1) Having babies sleep in their crib in their own room is really a cultural phenomenon, most babies in the world sleep with their parents (I myself, slept in the same room with my Mom until 18!)
2) When Hayden was a baby, it was soooo much easier, I NEVER had to get out of bed to feed or comfort him. And it worked well only because I am a very heavy sleeper and can sleep through his tossing and turning
3) most importantly, I just loved it! I love snuggling up next to my sweet little boy every night, I love waking up with his cute little face staring at me, I love that I got to share this special time of the day with him for the first couple years of his life.

But alas, I also miss my husband. And our commitment was to switch him to his own room at around 2 years old. I kept finding excuses to prolong the switch (he's jetlagged, we have guests this week, etc.) but we finally did it! I bought him some special choo choo train sheets which he loved. And he has transitioned with no tears.

I wish I could say the same.


1 comment:

Amy M said...

Yeah!! I am so glad he made the switch easily and quickly, and that you can have your husband back!! Poor Jason! Congrats on the good news!